Inter-agency Expert Group on SDG Indicators
On 6 March 2015, at its forty-sixth session, the United Nations Statistical Commission created an Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators (IAEG-SDGs), composed of Member States and including regional and international agencies as observers. The IAEG-SDGs will provide a proposal of a global indicator framework (and associated global and universal indicators) for consideration by the Statistical Commission at its forty-seventh session in March 2016.
The IAEG-SDGs has been tasked to develop and implement the global indicator framework for the Goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda. The group's current terms of reference are below, as found in E/CN.3/2017/2, Annex I.
In establishing the IAEG-SDGs, the United Nations Statistical Commission requested the use of existing regional mechanisms in order to ensure equitable regional representation and technical expertise. The Chair of the United Nations Statistical Commission is a ex-officio member of the IAEG-SDGs.
At its third meeting, the IAEG-SDGs decided to form three working groups to address specific areas relevant to SDG indicator implementation. The three working groups are on SDMX, Geo-spatial information, and Interlinkages. The IAEG-SDGs recently finalised the terms of reference for the three groups (which can be found below) and each group's membership. The Working Groups will decide on their detailed work plan, methods of work, and communication and coordination mechanisms with other partners. Countries that are not members of the IAEG-SDGs, international organisations, civil society, academia and the private sector will be invited to participate in the groups subject to criteria that will be established by each working group.
- Working Group on Geo-spatial Information
- Working Group on Inter-linkages of SDG Statistics to allow for Integrated Analyses in the Monitoring
- Working Group on SDMX
Resources and Documents
- Tier Classification for Global SDG Indicators
- Work Plans for Tier III Indicators (as of 03 March 2017)
- Metadata Repository (current)
- Metadata (archive)
- Reports of the IAEG-SDGs to the UN Statistical Commission
- 5th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 4th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- Open Consultation on Possible Refinements to the Global Indicator Framework
- 3rd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- Briefing to the General Assembly on the global SDG indicator framework
- Open Consultation on Grey Indicators
- Open Consultation on Green Indicators
- 2nd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- Open Consultation
- 1st meeting of the IAEG-SDGs