Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators
Mandate and Membership
On 6 March 2015, at its forty-sixth session, the United Nations Statistical Commission created the Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators (IAEG-SDGs), composed of Member States and including regional and international agencies as observers. The IAEG-SDGs was tasked to develop and implement the global indicator framework for the Goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda. The global indicator framework was developed by the IAEG-SDGs and agreed upon, including refinements on several indicators, at the 48th session of the United Nations Statistical Commission held in March 2017.
The global indicator framework was subsequently adopted by the General Assembly on 6 July 2017 and is contained in the Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on Work of the Statistical Commission pertaining to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (A/RES/71/313).
The group's current terms of reference are below, as found in E/CN.3/2017/2, Annex I.
In establishing the IAEG-SDGs, the United Nations Statistical Commission requested the use of existing regional mechanisms in order to ensure equitable regional representation and technical expertise. The Chair of the United Nations Statistical Commission is an ex-officio member of the IAEG-SDGs. In accordance with its terms of reference, the IAEG-SDGs updated its membership in June 2019 (see list of IAEG-SDG Members at the link below).
The annual work programme of the IAEG-SDGs, agreed by the UN Statistical Commission every year in March, focuses on the implementation of the indicator framework. Work of the group includes regularly reviewing methodological developments and issues related to the indicators and their metadata; a work stream on data disaggregation; three separate working groups (elaborated below in Working Groups) and the sharing of experiences and best practices on Sustainable Development Goal monitoring. The links below provide information on the work of the Expert Group in these areas, as well as the annual reports to the UN Statistical Commission summarizing their activities.
- Data Disaggregation for the SDG Indicators
- 2020 Comprehensive Review
- Improving Data Flows and Global Data Reporting for the SDGs
- Reports of the IAEG-SDGs to the UN Statistical Commission
Currently, the three working groups of the IAEG-SDGs address Statistical Data and Metadata Exchange (SDMX), Geospatial information, and Measurement of development support. The terms of reference or link for more information for the three groups can be found below. The Working Groups are responsible for their own detailed work plans, methods of work, and communication and coordination mechanisms with other partners. Countries that are not members of the IAEG-SDGs, international organisations, civil society, academia and the private sector were invited to participate in these groups subject to criteria established by each working group. Each of the three working groups reports on its progress at each of the meetings of the IAEG-SDGs.
- Working Group on Geospatial Information
- Working Group on SDMX
- Working Group on Measurement of Development Support
Resources and Documents
- Official list of global Sustainable Development Goal Indicators
- Tier Classification for Global SDG Indicators
- Metadata Repository
- Tier III Indicators Archive: Work Plans, Global Proxies
- 11th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 10th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 9th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 8th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 7th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 6th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 5th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 4th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 3rd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 2nd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 1st meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- March 2021 Open Virtual Meeting of the IAEG-SDGss
- September 2020 Open Virtual Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- June 2020 Open Virtual Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- February 2020 WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- November/December 2019 WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- September 2019 WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- January 2019 WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- December 2018 WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- September 2018 WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs