Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators
Mandate and Membership
On 6 March 2015, at its forty-sixth session, the United Nations Statistical Commission created the Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators (IAEG-SDGs), composed of Member States and including regional and international agencies as observers. The IAEG-SDGs was tasked to develop and implement the global indicator framework for the Goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda. The global indicator framework was developed by the IAEG-SDGs and agreed upon, including refinements on several indicators, at the 48th session of the United Nations Statistical Commission held in March 2017.
The global indicator framework was subsequently adopted by the General Assembly on 6 July 2017 and is contained in the Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on Work of the Statistical Commission pertaining to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (A/RES/71/313).
The group's current terms of reference are below, as found in E/CN.3/2017/2, Annex I.
In establishing the IAEG-SDGs, the United Nations Statistical Commission requested the use of existing regional mechanisms in order to ensure equitable regional representation and technical expertise. The Chair of the United Nations Statistical Commission is an ex-officio member of the IAEG-SDGs. In accordance with its terms of reference, the IAEG-SDGs updated its membership in May 2017 (see list of IAEG-SDG Members at the link below).
At its third meeting, the IAEG-SDGs formed three working groups to address specific areas relevant to SDG indicator implementation. The three working groups address Statistical Data and Metadata Exchange (SDMX), Geo-spatial information, and Interlinkages. The terms of reference for the three groups can be found below. The Working Groups are responsible for their own detailed work plans, methods of work, and communication and coordination mechanisms with other partners. Countries that are not members of the IAEG-SDGs, international organisations, civil society, academia and the private sector were invited to participate in these groups subject to criteria established by each working group. Each of the three working groups reports on its progress at each of the meetings of the IAEG-SDGs.
- Working Group on Geo-spatial Information
- Working Group on Inter-linkages of SDG Statistics to allow for Integrated Analyses in the Monitoring
- Working Group on SDMX
Resources and Documents
- Reports of the IAEG-SDGs to the UN Statistical Commission
- Official list of global Sustainable Development Goal Indicators
- Tier Classification for Global SDG Indicators
- Work Plans for Tier III Indicators
- Metadata Repository
- 8th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 7th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 6th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 5th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 4th meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 3rd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 2nd meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- 1st meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- January WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- December WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs
- September WebEx Meeting of the IAEG-SDGs