About the Global Gender Statistics Programme
The Global Gender Statistics Programme is mandated by the United Nations Statistical Commission, implemented by the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) and coordinated by the Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Gender Statistics IAEG-GS.
The Programme encompasses:
- improving coherence among existing initiatives on gender statistics through international coordination
- developing and promoting methodological guidelines in existing domains as well as in emerging areas of gender concern
- strengthening national statistical and technical capacity for the production, dissemination and use of gender relevant data
- facilitating access to gender relevant data and metadata through a newly developed data portal (forthcoming).
UNSD serves as Secretariat of the Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Gender Statistics (IAEG-GS), the coordinating and guiding body of the Global Gender Statistics Programme. The IAEG-GS was first convened in 2006, meets annually and functions through advisory groups. Presently, the main advisory group's work concentrates on examining emerging and unaddressed key gender issues and related data gap with the aim to develop proposals on how to fill these gaps.
This website serves as a platform for the dissemination of developments in the field of gender statistics and promotes the inclusion of gender statistics into all fields of statistical activities at both the national and international levels.
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2020
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2018
- Social Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2017
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2016
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2015
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2014
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2013
- Gender Statistics: report of the Secretary General - 2012
- Global Gender Statistics Programme - 2011
- Report of the Statistical Service on Gender Statistics - 2011
The Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Gender Statistics (IAEG-GS)
The IAEG-GS brings together representatives of international agencies within and outside United Nations system, statisticians from National Statistical Systems, and development partners, to review progress and provide guidance on future activities geared at advancing gender statistics. The UN Statistics Division is the secretariat of the group.
- E-Handbook on gender-relevant SDG indicators (English)
- E-Handbook on gender-relevant SDG indicators (Arabic)
(Members login here)
Members - Agencies
Members - Countries
- Japan (Co-Chair)
- South Africa
- Switzerland (Co-Chair)
- United States
- Viet Nam
The World's Women reports
The World's Women reports are prepared by the Statistics Division of the UN Department for Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) at five-year intervals, starting in 1990. Seven reports have been published as part of the The World's Women series.
Evidence and Data for Gender Equality (EDGE)
The Evidence and Data for Gender Equality (EDGE) project is a joint initiative of the United Nations Statistics Division and UN Women that seeks to improve the integration of gender issues into the regular production of official statistics for better, evidence-based policies.