Using Big Data on the UN Global Platform
A Side Event at the United Nations Statistical Commission
- Tuesday, 23 February 2021
- 9:00 - 10:30 AM
YouTube live: Using Big Data on the UN Global Platform
Since 2018, the Statistical Commission has endorsed and supported to development of the UN global platform as a collaborative environment on data innovation for the global statistical community and all its partners. The idea of the global platform was developed in Bogota in November 2017 and was followed by the implementation ONS, UK, from 2018 to 2020. On 1 June 2020, ONS handed over the beta version of the platform to the United Nations community, with the objective of scaling it up for global use.
The following projects (either in the proof of concept, pilot or production phase, depending on their level of maturity) are currently active on the Global Platform:
- Project of the task team on Earth observations building a data pipeline with the Sen2Agri toolbox, using satellite data to estimate agricultural crop statistics; the project is in the pilot phase, with data being processed for Senegal;
- Project of the task team on Earth observations to build an information technology system for the Artificial Intelligence for Ecosystem Services (ARIES) modelling tool to measure ecosystem services; this project is in the proof of concept phase;
- Project of the task team on AIS vessel tracking data for estimating port calls of ships for 1,200 ports on a weekly basis to measure international trade activity; this project is in production;
- Project of the UK on the processing of AIS data for the weekly outputs on faster economic indicators; this project is in production;
- Project of UNSD, OECD, UNICEF, and UNESCAP to implement the .STAT technology for hosting the national database of Cambodia on the Global Platform; this project is in production;
- Project of the task team on scanner data building a data pipeline, using methods and algorithms developed for the production of price indices; this project is in the proof of concept phase;
- Project of UNSD and OECD to maintain on the Global Platform a graph database for a global group register covering the top 500 multinational enterprises; this project is in the proof of concept phase.
More projects will be onboarded, including a project to deploy the rural access index measurement tool for testing against national data sources and a project to develop a “data as a service” functionality.
This side-event will showcase the projects on Sen2Agri, AIS data and .STAT. The objective is to convey the message that the data, services, technology and applications on the platform are available and open to all the members of the Commission. More projects can be onboarded.
The side event will be conducted virtual, showcase 3 presentations with Q&A and will last 90 minutes.
Please use this form to register for the side-event: https://forms.gle/xevLcpEjeGDZ2HkC8
Connection details of the meeting will be emailed to the registered participants
For further information:
Ronald Jansen (email@example.com)