The metadata available in this repository is a work in progress. It reflects the latest reference metadata information provided by the UN System and other international organizations on data and statistics for the Tier I and II indicators in the global indicator framework. This repository will be further updated and periodically reviewed in cooperation with the respective data compilers.
- Official list of Global Sustainable Development Goal indicators
- Tier Classification for Global SDG Indicators
- Previous Work Plans for Tier III Indicators (archive)
- Metadata for initially proposed indicators (archive)
Metadata update process:
Methodology for indicators is expected to update from time to time. For any metadata updates that include significant changes (detailed in the form below), the IAEG-SDGs will review the changes during its member meetings based on the update request form (see below) and track change metadata provided. Custodian agencies will also be invited to attend an upcoming IAEG-SDG member meeting to present on the proposed changes and answer any questions.
As requested by the IAEG-SDGs, custodian agencies must provide their metadata update request documents at least one month in advance of their next scheduled meeting to allow for sufficient time for review. Depending on the time of submission and the next IAEG-SDG member meeting, the timeline for review and approval can span up to 12 weeks or more. Therefore, it is important to provide submissions as soon as they are available. Please note that no data are published in the Global SDG Indicators Database until the corresponding metadata is approved by the IAEG-SDGs.
Please see below the projected stages and timeline.
To get started, custodian agencies are requested to:
- Download the metadata Word file for the indicator from the metadata repository (below) and edit the Word file in track changes to show the requested changes.
- Custodian agency downloads and completes the “Metadata update request form” (below) and sends the request package to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Target 16.1: Significantly reduce all forms of violence and related death rates everywhere
- Indicator 16.1.1: Number of victims of intentional homicide per 100,000 population, by sex and age
- Indicator 16.1.2: Conflict-related deaths per 100,000 population, by sex, age and cause
- Indicator 16.1.3: Proportion of population subjected to (a) physical violence, (b) psychological violence and (c) sexual violence in the previous 12 months
- Indicator 16.1.4: Proportion of population that feel safe walking alone around the area they live after dark
Target 16.2: End abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence against and torture of children
- Indicator 16.2.1: Proportion of children aged 1–17 years who experienced any physical punishment and/or psychological aggression by caregivers in the past month
- Indicator 16.2.2: Number of victims of human trafficking per 100,000 population, by sex, age and form of exploitation
- Indicator 16.2.3: Proportion of young women and men aged 18–29 years who experienced sexual violence by age 18
Target 16.3: Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all
- Indicator 16.3.1: Proportion of victims of violence in the previous 12 months who reported their victimization to competent authorities or other officially recognized conflict resolution mechanisms
- Indicator 16.3.2: Unsentenced detainees as a proportion of overall prison population
- Indicator 16.3.3: Proportion of the population who have experienced a dispute in the past two years and who accessed a formal or informal dispute resolution mechanism, by type of mechanism
Target 16.4: By 2030, significantly reduce illicit financial and arms flows, strengthen the recovery and return of stolen assets and combat all forms of organized crime
- Indicator 16.4.1: Total value of inward and outward illicit financial flows (in current United States dollars)
- Indicator 16.4.2: Proportion of seized, found or surrendered arms whose illicit origin or context has been traced or established by a competent authority in line with international instruments
Target 16.5: Substantially reduce corruption and bribery in all their forms
- Indicator 16.5.1: Proportion of persons who had at least one contact with a public official and who paid a bribe to a public official, or were asked for a bribe by those public officials, during the previous 12 months
- Indicator 16.5.2: Proportion of businesses that had at least one contact with a public official and that paid a bribe to a public official, or were asked for a bribe by those public officials during the previous 12 months
Target 16.6: Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels
- Indicator 16.6.1: Primary government expenditures as a proportion of original approved budget, by sector (or by budget codes or similar)
- Indicator 16.6.2: Proportion of population satisfied with their last experience of public services
Target 16.7: Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at all levels
- Indicator 16.7.1: Proportions of positions in national and local institutions, including (a) the legislatures; (b) the public service; and (c) the judiciary, compared to national distributions, by sex, age, persons with disabilities and population groups
- Indicator 16.7.2: Proportion of population who believe decision-making is inclusive and responsive, by sex, age, disability and population group
Target 16.8: Broaden and strengthen the participation of developing countries in the institutions of global governance
- Indicator 16.8.1: Proportion of members and voting rights of developing countries in international organizations
Target 16.9: By 2030, provide legal identity for all, including birth registration
- Indicator 16.9.1: Proportion of children under 5 years of age whose births have been registered with a civil authority, by age
Target 16.10: Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements
- Indicator 16.10.1: Number of verified cases of killing, kidnapping, enforced disappearance, arbitrary detention and torture of journalists, associated media personnel, trade unionists and human rights advocates in the previous 12 months
- Indicator 16.10.2: Number of countries that adopt and implement constitutional, statutory and/or policy guarantees for public access to information
Target 16.a: Strengthen relevant national institutions, including through international cooperation, for building capacity at all levels, in particular in developing countries, to prevent violence and combat terrorism and crime
- Indicator 16.a.1: Existence of independent national human rights institutions in compliance with the Paris Principles