How the Global Network can support your work streams / possible use-cases:
The Global Network can host and support discussion and collaboration fora for a range of use-cases / work streams:
- Link data officers and economists of the Resident Coordinator Offices (RCOs) and the UN Country Teams (UNCTs) to the National Statistical Offices / Systems (NSOs / NSSs) and to UN entities, especially the UN Regional Commissions, UNSD, and other UN entities working with data;
- Enable thematic discussions on statistical and geospatial information subjects, which can be especially useful for broader topics covered by several regional and international entities;
- Support discussions and coordination at the regional level, especially between the NSSs in the region, the UN Regional Commissions, and other regional actors (e.g. EU, CARICOM, Pacific Community, African Union, etc.), also in other languages than English, e.g. using the predominant regional language like French, Arabic or Spanish (Yammer has a translation feature);
- Offer a discussion platform for coordination bodies, like the Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities (CCSA) and the Committee of the Chief Statisticians of the United Nations System (CCS-UN);
- Serve as an alternate communication channel for informal discussion and/or announcements on the sidelines of high-level events like the Statistical Commission, the World Data Forum, and others
- Support the discussions of Expert Groups (EGs), Technical Sub-Groups (TSGs), Working Groups (WGs), Interagency Expert Groups (IAEGs), Interagency Working Groups (IAWGs), City Groups, etc;
- Accompany global consultations and other forms of consultation;
- Connect the statisticians, geospatial and other data experts from governmental entities, including the National Statistical System and the National Geospatial Information Ecosystem, with actors from civil society/Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), academia, and the relevant private sector to find opportunities for collaboration.
- Promote and support the use of official national and international data sources in academia, public and private research institutions, and think tanks.
- Provide a forum to foster the availability and use of public and private administrative and big data sources in the production of statistics and indictors that support informed decision making.
- Provide a (cross-organizational) platform for subject-specific hotlines and Q&A fora (e.g. classifications, environmental accounting) especially for those cases where these topics are covered by several organizations within and outside of the UN system;
- Support the implementation of virtual intergovernmental meetings by offering a platform for informal, asynchronous discussions and the hosting of virtual side events;
- And other use-cases that you can think of to better connect, collaborate, and coordinate.