Decree n° 2728
issued on February 28, 1980
(Official Journal n° 13)
Organization of the Central Administration of Statistics determination of its cadre, the special
conditions of appointment in the posts of this cadre, the hierarchy of grades and salaries,
the determination of indemnities and conditions of classification
The President of the Republic
- By virtue of the constitution
- By virtue of the draft law enforced through the decree n° 1793, dated on 22/2/1979 (creation of the administration of Central statistics) especially its fourth article.
- After consultations with the State Council.
- After the approval of the organization of the Council of Civil Service in its decision n° 704 dated on 11/12/1979.
- By virtue of the proposals of the prime minister,
- And after the approval of the Council of ministers on 29/12/1979,
Decrees the following :
Organization of the central administration of Statistics.
Article 1: The central administration of statistics is formed up of :
- The Divan Department
- The Production Sector Statistics Department.
- The Department of Household and Social Statistics
- The Department of Field Operations and Regional Statistics.
- The department of Computer center.
- The Department of Coordination and National Accounts.
- The Department of documentation, publishing and printing.
Article 2: The Divan Department assumes the tasks and the powers assigned by the laws and regulations to the Divan in the public institutions.
Article 3: The Divan Department is composed up of :
- The administrative section
- The Accounts section
- The Equipments and supplies section
Article 4: The administrative section assumes :
- The securing of the work of mail, archives, typewriting, phone calls, distribution and communications delivery, transport, internal service and all other public services of this administration.
- The personal affairs of employees, contractual and other workers, and all persons working in the central administration of statistics.
Article 5: The accounts section assumes :
- The preparation of the balance sheet draft, the execution of the formalities related to the implementation of the balance sheet and the keeping of its books.
Article 6: The equipments and supplies section assumes :
- The securing of technical and administrative equipments and supplies, which are necessary to the central administration of statistics, the setting up the books of technical conditions of the matters related to it, and keeping the accounts of these equipments and supplies.
- The maintenance of buildings and equipments.
Article 7: The department of the production sector statistics assumes :
- The laying down of statistics related to natural wealth , and to the activities of economical sectors : Agriculture, Industry, Energy, Construction, Transport, Communications, Tourism and other services, and also the prices, the internal trade and the foreign trade, in cooperation with the competent administrations.
- The organization of data base for the production institutions, their updating, and the coordination with the similar data bases existing at the other public administrations, municipalities and public institutions.
- The technical supervision on the statistical units in the ministries and other public administrations involved in the affairs of the production institutions, like the ministry of agriculture, the ministry of industry and petroleum, the ministry of economy and commerce, the ministry of public works and transport, the ministry of water and electricity resources, the ministry of post, telegraph and telephone, and the ministry of tourism… etc. and the amelioration of the methods used for the setting forth of statistics resulting out of its activities, and the extraction of statistical information available near it …
- preparation of periodical statistical surveys at the institutions of production, the extraction of their results and their analysis.
- Formulation of the initial accounts of the production sector, in the framework of the national general accounts.
Article 8: The department of the statistics of the production sector is instituted of :
- The section of the data base of the production institutions
- The section of foreign trade statistics
- The section of prices and internal trade statistics.
- And of work teams, established through a decision issued by the general manager according to the proposals of the department head, these teams assume the statistics and studies, according to annual work programs, or programs intended for many years.
Article 9: The section of the data base of production institutions assumes:
- The organization of the data base of production institutions according to the specifications of their economical activities, their geographical location, and the number of its employees.
- The giving of a special serial number to each institution, and the seeking of the unification of these numbers with the different competent administrations and institutions.
- The formulation of periodical statistics on the activities of the data base.
Article 10: The section of foreign trade statistics assumes :
- The formulation of foreign trade statistics, in cooperation with the general administration of the customs.
- The performance of studies related to foreign trade, including the study of exported and imported goods prices.
- Preparation of the initial schedules related to external exchanges in the framework of the national accounts
Article 11: The section of prices and internal commerce statistics assumes:
- The collection of wholesale prices of different goods, and the control of the development of these prices in the different marketing stages.
- The collection of the retail prices of food stuffs, clothes home appliances, and also the prices of services in the different sectors, in a periodical and regular way.
- The calculation of the standard wholesale and retail prices of each category of goods, according to the way of their use, and also the standard figures of the cost of living.
- Estimation and study of the internal trade margins, in the framework of the national accounts.
Article 12: The department of statistics of household and social sector assumes :
- Setting up the statistics related to housing, health, education, labour, income, families consumption, activities of institutions of cultural and social aspects, in cooperation with competent administrations.
- The technical supervision of statistics units in the ministries and public administrations and institutions, concerned in social affairs, like the ministry of housing and cooperatives, the ministry of justice , the ministry of national education and fine arts, the ministry of public health, the ministry of labour and social affairs, and the National Fund of social security … etc. and the amelioration of the adopted methods in the formulation of statistics resulting from its activities, and extraction of statistical information available at it.
- The preparation of periodical statistical surveys at the families and the social and cultural institutions, extraction of their results and their analysis.
-Preparation of the initial accountings of household sector and social institutions, in the framework of the General National accounts.
Article 13: The department of household and social sector is established of :
- The section of housing statistics.
- The section of labour statistics.
- Work teams established through a decision made by the Director General, according to the proposals of the department head.
- These work teams assume the performance of statistics and studies, within the prerogatives of this department, according to annual work programs, or programs intended for many years.
Article 14: The section of housing statistics assumes :
- The preparation of periodical statistical surveys related to houses, and extraction of their results.
- Organizing of a special card for each building according to the geographical site and the specifications of the building and of the equipments.
- The formulation of periodical statistics on houses, leases, in cooperation with the competent authorities.
Article 15: The section of labour statistics assumes :
- The preparation of statistical conveys near the families, so as to know the proportions of employment, unemployment, distribution of labour to different professions and sectors and analysis of their results.
- The formulation of periodical statistics on employment and unemployment, in cooperation with competent administrations.
Article 16: The department of field operations and regional statistics assumes :
- The field works (gathering data from public administrations and public and private institutions, which are requested by the different units in the central administration of statistics) and all field works in the different regions.
- The carrying out of the field statistical surveys.
- The formulation of regional statistics in cooperation with regional organizations.
Article 17: The department of field operations and regional statistics is formed up of :
- A regional office in each Mohafazat (or district).
- the office of Beirut.
Article 18: The regional offices in the Mohafazats assume :
- The collection of information requested by the different departments of the central administration of statistics, from the public administrations and the public and private institutions.
- The carrying out of statistical surveys in the framework of the Mohafazat.
- The formulation of regional statistics, in cooperation with local bodies in the Mohafazat.
Article 19: The office of Beirut assumes :
- The collection and the centralization of all statistics received from other regional offices, in addition to the tasks mentioned in the previous article, with respect to (w.r.t.) the city of Beirut.
Article 20: The department of computer center assumes :
- The carrying out of all the works of statistical information processing, through the computer and all machines, equipments and tools put at its' disposal, and the providing of the technical advice related to the organization of the works which must be processed by the computer, and to the preparation of classifications and codes.
Article 21: The department of the computer center is formed up of :
- The section of analysis and programming.
- The section of computer work.
Article 22: The section of analysis and programming assumes :
- The formulation of general plans for processing the statistical information.
- Determination of the information processing system of the computer, organization of the library of programs, auxiliary programs, and multipurpose programs.
- Determination of the recording method on the magnetic memories.
- Determination and writing of programs, charges of records and printed matters which ought to be extracted, and amendment of these programs whenever necessary.
- Auditing of schedules extracted from machines.
Article 23: The section of computer works assumes :
- Carrying out of all processing works of statistical information through the computer, and units machines, support equipments, or equipments preparing these works.
- Formulation of work plans which must be processed by computer, and the wakefulness about their good implementation.
- Keeping the magnetic disks and tapes, its numbering, and the laying down of indexes regarding its contents and the method of its partition.
- Receipt and delivery of different documents related to units to which interest the information are processed.
Article 24: The section of computer work is formed up of :
- A workshop for the preparation of the mechanical work and the archives.
- A workshop for the information conversion .
- A workshop of the computer.
Article 25: The department of coordination and national accounts assumes :
- The setting up of the general framework and the plans for the national accounts.
- The centralization of the initial accounts put forth by the competent units, the settlement of the account of the budgets of the state, the public institutions, the municipalities and the account of the financial operation or the financial statistics laid down by the Bank of Lebanon, the coordination between it, and the formulation of the final accounts.
- The set forth of estimative temporary accounts, and the forcast accounts for the economical activities.
- The study of the general economical and social situation and the control of its development.
- The unification of statistical symbols and terms , used in the different units of the central administration of statistics, in the public administrations, the public institutions, the municipalities and its circularization.
- The performance of necessary researches for the amelioration and circularization of statistical methods.
Article 26: The department of coordination and national accounts is formed up of work teams established through a decision made by the director general, according to the proposals of the department head; These work teams assume the tasks of this department, according to annual work programs, or programs intended for many years to come.
Article 27: The department of documentation, publishing and printing assumes :
- The centralization of all documents related to the economical and social activities of the country and of the other countries and to scientific magazines and researches, in the field of statistics and economical and social sciences and putting forth classifications hereto.
- The organization and keeping of the library.
- All type of drawings and setting up geographical maps
- The printing of patterns forms and other documents related to the activities of the central administration of statistics.
- The preparation of periodical publications, its printing and its distribution.
Article 28: The department of documentation, publication and printing is composed of :
- The section of documentation.
- The section of publication.
- The section of printing.
Article 29: The section of documentation assumes :
- The centralization of all documents related to the economical and social activities of the country, the neighboring countries, and other countries, and to scientific magazines and researches in the field of statistics and economical and social sciences, and setting forth classification.
- Organizing and keeping of the library.
- To provide the technical employees at the central administration of statistics, and the other researches outside this administration with the different publications, researches and documents available at its end, which they need in their works and researches.
- To provide the public with the published, or under publication, information.
Article 30: The publication section assumes :
- The preparation of periodical publications, its staging, and the supervision on its issue.
- Distribution of bulletins issued by the central administration of statistics.
- The functions of drawing of diagrams and economical and social geographical maps, and all other drawing's works.
Article 31: The section of printing assumes :
- The printing of statistical bulletins, forms, and other documents necessary for the activities of the central administration of statistics