REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA LAW ON THE POPULATION AND HOUSING CENSUS 2001
June 10, 1999. No VIII - 1222
ARTICLE 1. Purpose of Law
This Law shall establish the general principles of organising the Population and Housing Census 2001 (further - Census), responsibilities of the population in providing data, and the procedure of using the data obtained in the course of the Census. This Law shall establish the general principles of organising the Population and Housing Census 2001 (further - Census), responsibilities of the population in providing data, and the procedure of using the data obtained in the course of the Census.
ARTICLE 2. Objective of the Census
The census shall be conducted in order to establish the number and distribution of the population of the Republic of Lithuania within residential places and administrative territorial units, as well as the demographic and socio-economic structure of the population and to obtain information regarding their dwellings and the quality thereof.
ARTICLE 3. Organisation of the Census
1. The census shall be organised by the Department of Statistics at the Government of the Republic of Lithuania and the High Level Commission for the Population Census of Lithuania, formed by the Government.
2. The ministries, Government institutions and other state institutions, administrations of county governors and municipalities shall perform census duties, stipulated by the decisions of the Government or its authorised institution and the High Level Commission for the Population Census.
3. Census commissions of municipality population shall be formed to organise and implement census work.
ARTICLE 4. Time of the Census
1. The Census moment for the data acquired in conducting the Population and Housing Census shall be 12 p.m. of April 5, 2001. The census may not extend beyond 10 calendar days.
2. The High Level Commission for the Population Census may extend the duration of the Census.
ARTICLE 5. Object of the Census
The census shall include all permanent residents of the Republic of Lithuania territory or citizens of the Republic of Lithuania residing abroad, citizens of other states and aliens, having permits of permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania and permanently residing within the territory of the Republic of Lithuania, buildings of all types and dwellings located therein.
ARTICLE 6. The Obligation to Provide Information
The persons listed in Article 5 of this Law shall be obliged to provide the information required on the census questionnaire. Information regarding buildings and dwellings must be provided by their owners, administrators and tenants.
ARTICLE 7. The Use of Census Data
Census data regarding a resident and his dwelling, shall be confidential and may only be used to obtain aggregated data. The personal identification number, name, surname, date of birth and address may be used in verifying the data of the Population Register.
ARTICLE 8. Census Funding
The funds required by the Census shall be allocated from the State Budget.
ARTICLE 9. Liability for Failure to Provide Information or Provision of False Information
Persons who have refused to submit their personal data or information regarding their dwelling or have provided false data, shall be liable in accordance with Article 1732 of Violations of the Administrative Code.
ARTICLE 10. Final Provisions
By July 1, 2000, the Government or its authorised institution shall approve the legal acts, required for organising the Population and Housing Census 2001, and establish the procedure for acquisition of staff services to assist in census work.
I promulgate this Law passed by the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC VALDAS ADAMKUS