Republic of Yemen Ministry of Legal Affairs Parliamentary Affairs
Act No (28) For The Year 1995 of Statistics
The President of the Republic:
After reading the constitution of the Republic,
And after the approval of the House of the
Representatives and the Cabinet of Ministers,
Nomenclature and Definition
This Act shall be called "The Statistical Act"
For the purpose of this act, the following names and terminologies have the meanings shown against each of them, unless otherwise stated in the text:
Republic: The Republic of Yemen.
Government: The Government of the Republic of Yemen.
Minister: The Minister of Planning And Development.
The Organization: The Central Statistical Organization.
Statistical: All figures, data, information related to economic, social, cultural and population aspects and everything relevant to societal life and the activities.
The Respondent: The natural or legal person, the public or private, national or foreign that exist in the Republic and who is required to provide statistical data in accordance with this act.
Responsibilities, Objective & Methods of the Statistical Activities
The Statistical Objectives and the Methods of the Statistical Activities are the following:
1. Provision and dissemination of a timely statistical information and indicators so that it can be used as instrument for planning, analysis and the scientific research and studies that help policy makers to take their proper decisions thereof.
2. To undertake the preparation for the projects and the planning for censuses and statistical surveys in Collaboration with various government agencies in order to be aware of the human, economic and natural potentialities and measurement of the developments and changes occurring in the economic and social variables.
3. Collection, classification, processing, analysis, dissemination and documentation of the statistical information. These activities should be based on preparation of the standard criteria, rules, classifications and tabulations in addition to the design, of systems and programs and work plans needed to assist in the achievement of such goals, which must be followed at the time of the statistical data preparation.
4. Unification of the criteria, conceptions, definitions and terms relating to collection and compilation of various data and also unifying of the methods of collecting such data from their sources on perfect scientific bases as well as issuance of guides thereof.
5. Establishing a comprehensive, consolidated, statistical and information system which keeps pace with the developments in the different aspects of life in addition to issuance of periodical statistical publications.
6. Conducting comprehensive or sample surveys in collaboration with the statistical units in the State bodies or entrusting the others to conduct such surveys partially or totally.
7. Collection, processing, analysis and dissemination of the current data and information about various resources and their utilization, and the different aspects of the societal activities, in coordination with other government bodies.
8. Establishment of a statistical training center for the training and preparation of cadres working in the statistical services and up-grading of their performance.
9. Setting up specific systems and programmes for training the CSO staff, its branches and offices as well as undertaking staff training in the various statistical units, to increase the efficiency in collaboration with the concerned bodies.
10. Establishment of a documentation and information system to ensure obtaining of such information on a timely basis and to keep, store and retrieve documents in order to be utilized in the statistical, planning and development works and the economic administration at the central and the local levels.
11. Propose a system in the field of computers to be approved by the Cabinet Ministers, and to suggest the bases and rules for collecting and organizing the software available in the various state organizations which can be done by conducting a study on the capacity and capabilities of the computers and on the ways of utilization of such machines at the central and local levels, and to set up a proposal about the national policies and strategies with regard to usage of such computers.
12. Conduct comprehensive censuses and sample surveys covering various resources and statistical phenomena.
13. Direct collection of data and information from the field or to organize collecting of such from the various respondents in the Republic through the administrative means.
14. To undertake opinion studies with respect to the economic and social phenomena in the Republic.
15. Contributing to the demographic, economic, social field and library researches and studies.
16. Undertake projections and estimations of the various statistical indicators.
17.Compilation of the national accounts, preparation of the economic and commodity balances and preparation of the indexes of the prices.
18.Carry out the economic analysis of the final accounts of government, local organizations, state, cooperative, mixed and private sector corporations.
Authorities of the Organization
For the purpose of the implementation of the provisions set forth in this act, the respective organization will exercise the following authorities:
1. Collecting the statistical information relevant to function through the adopted statistical methods from all the respondents except the data relating to the military and security corporations. All respondents must provide the required information on time and in correct form.
2. The responsible bodies and persons must facilitate entry of the interviewers into the corporations, cooperatives and public, mixed, cooperative and private and private corporations to ascertain and verify their data from their records and registries relating to their functions.
3. Entry of the houses and establishments in the comprehensive and specific censuses and surveys during the field work phase after having permission from the owners while observing the effective acts, decisions, customs and the traditions prevailing in the society.
4. Shall ascertain any statistical information given to him by the respondents if he sees that such information is incorrect.
5. Obtain copies of the final accounts of the government central and local organizations, government enterprises, cooperatives and the corporations of the final mixed and private sectors.
6. The Central Statistical Organization undertakes transference of the responsible who violate the provisions set forth in article No. (7) of this act to the concerned bodies to take the legal actions towards them.
7. The Central Statistical Organization undertakes the technical supervision over the statistical units and administrations in the ministries and government departments so that to ensure unification of the technical methods of collecting of the statistical data.
Prohibited Action & Behaviors & Penalties
Without prejudice to a stronger penalty stated in any other act, a punishment not exceeding one year imprisonment or a fine not exceeding (YR. I 0,000) ten thousand Yemeni Rials shall be imposed on an individual:
1.Violated confidentiality of the statistical data and information that he has been aware of in accordance with duty or according to a task that has been assigned to him or according to any census or statistical action or actions under this act.
2. Used directly or indirectly data or information that he obtained during performing his function and that has not been published yet. for making personal benefit, or in favour of the other or to cause deferment to the others. Hence he shall compensate the others for the detriments occurred as a result of such misuse.
3. Intentionally delayed any census or surveys actions.
4. Refused to provide the established data and information or lie has given, at his knowledge, false information.
5. Obtained or has embarked on obtaining data and information peculiar to a respondent of which stated in Article (5) of this act while not entitled to do so.
6. Published or caused to publish statistical data and information or results of a census or survey which are incorrect or which are not published yet.
7. Damaged or neglected documents that contain statistical data and information, which were under his control or he obtained from others, with a view to hamper, spoil or cause adverse impacts on the statistical work.
a.Statistics are not deemed to be considered official unless they are prepared or published or approved by the Central Statistical Organization, who is the official body which is authorized to demand the statistical data and information from the government organizations and the natural and legal persons.
b. Except what is relevant to the internal work of the formal organizations and those of the public sector, all the government organizations and the statistical units and the natural and legal persons must coordinate with the Central Statistical Organization prior conducting the statistical researches that they plan to conduct through asking questions, using forms or issuing of publications containing, statistical information and figures in order to ensure safety and accuracy thereof and in order to make the utmost use of such.
The Executive Regulations of this act will issued by the Council of Ministers' resolution based on the proposal submitted by the concerned minister.
Any context or provision contradicts with the provisions set forth in this act shall be cancelled.
This act shall be enforced from the date of issuance and shall be published in the formal Gazette.
Issued in the Presidentship of the Republic, Sana'a.
Date: 23 Jumadah Al-Thani /1416 H. Corresponding to: November 16, 1995
General Ali Abdullah Saleh, President of the Republic