Are you in a Statistics Canada survey?
When you participate in a Statistics Canada household survey…
Statistics Canada will tell you
- the name of the survey.
- how the survey will be administered - by telephone or personal interview.
- why your participation in the survey is important.
- if your participation in the survey is voluntary or if it is required by law.
- that the information you provide is kept confidential.
- that all interviewers and other Statistics Canada employees must take an oath of secrecy and are liable to penalties for breaches of confidentiality.
- that only authorized Statistics Canada employees whose work requires that they see individual survey responses will have access to your information unless there is a data sharing agreement.
- if there is a data sharing agreement between Statistics Canada and another organization, we will ask your permission to share your information. If you agree, then employees from this other organization would also see your personal information.
- that the personal information you provide will only be used for statistical purposes such as
analysis, tables and charts.
- how the survey results will be used.
- a Statistics Canada number to call to obtain further information.
Statistics Canada will ask you
- to respond as completely and accurately as possible because your responses are critically important to creating reliable statistics.
Statistics Canada will ensure that
- every survey meets important data needs.
- your information is kept safe and secure.
- our dealings with you are in the official language of your choice.
- respondents do not have to provide information to an interviewer that they know.
- information that identifies an individual, family or household is never released without their
knowledge and consent.
- that strict security measures safeguard personal information when it is collected, transmitted and stored.
- if there is a data sharing agreement between Statistics Canada and another organization, we have your permission to share your information with that organization.