- Opening presentation – Mahmoud Mohieldin, Senior Vice President World Bank Group
The United Nations World Data Forum 2018 is the second in a series of preeminent biennial events that bring together the technical, advocacy, and political spheres to harness the power of data to realize the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development for all. Convened under the United Nations, the Forum is an opportunity to engage on technical and political dimensions of data and statistics, and address how the public and private sectors are meeting the data challenges and opportunities faced by the global statistical community.
The opening session will consist of two parts. The duration of each panel will be 45 minutes long.
Ms. Mona Chalabi, data editor from the Guardian, will be the moderator for the opening plenary.
The first part will include high-level political and UN representation to discuss the political and high-level commitments to harness the power of data and to showcase reflections on the UNWDF 2018. The speakers will include high-level political representatives from selected countries, public and private sector organizations, and the United Nations.
- HE Reem Bint Ebrahim Al Hashimy, Minister of State for International Co-operation
- Ms. Amina Mohammed, DSG, UN
The second part will include a roundtable dialogue among high-level leaders from key communities (political, businesses, civil society and scientific) to discuss different aspects of harnessing the power of data to meet the data demands of the 2030 Agenda.
- Mr. Liu, Under-Secretary-General, DESA
- HE Omar Al Olama, Minister of State for Artificial Intelligence
- Mr. Mahmoud Mohieldin, Senior Vice President for the 2030 Development Agenda, World Bank
- Mr. Clint Brown, Director of Product Engineering, Esri
- Ms. Harpinder Collacott, Development Initiatives
The opening session will set the scene for the dialogues at the UNWDF 2018!