8. Working Group on Exonyms
Peter Jordan (Austria) E-mail Mr. Jordan (email@example.com)
The Working Group was formed in September 2002, as recommended by resolution 4 of the Eighth Conference (Berlin, 27 August - 5 September 2002). The need for such a group had also been expressed at earlier discussions (Frankfurt am Main, 2000 and Berchtesgaden, 2001).
Current work plan
Various conference resolutions now exist on the treatment, use and reduction of exonyms in the context of geographical names standardization and effective UN communication. The Working Group encourages progress in addressing these UN resolutions. As current concrete projects it aims to elaborate a paper noting the current trends in exonym use as well as an inventory of lists of exonyms.
Six publications of articles on exonyms were prepared from presentations to the Working Group meetings.
Criteria for the Use of Exonyms. Proceedings of the 17th UNGEGN Working Group on Exonyms Meeting, Zagreb, 14-16 May 2015. Edited by Peter Jordan and Paul Woodman. Published in 2016. Hamburg: Verlag Dr. Kovač. = Name & Place, vol. 6 (EUR 68.-), ISBN 978-3-8300-8946-9.
Confirmation of the Definitions. Proceedings of the 16th UNGEGN Working Group on Exonyms Meeting, Hermagor, 5-7 June 2014. Edited by Peter Jordan and Paul Woodman. Published in 2015. Hamburg: Verlag Dr. Kovač. = Name & Place, vol. 4 (EUR 68.-), ISBN 978-3-8300-8422-8.
Trends in Exonym Use. Proceedings of the 10th UNGEGN Working Group on Exonyms Meeting, Tainach, 28-30 April 2010. Edited by Peter Jordan, Hubert Bergmann, Caroline Burgess and Catherine Cheetham. Published in 2011. Hamburg: Verlag Dr. Kovač. = Name & Place, vol. 1 (EUR 68.-), ISBN 978-3-8300-5656-0.
Exonyms and the International Standardisation of Geographical Names. Approaches towards the Resolution of an Apparent Contradiction. Edited by Peter Jordan, Milan Orozen Adamic, Paul Woodman. Published in 2007, Münster: LIT-Verlag = Wiener Osteuropa Studien, vol. 24 (EUR 24.90), ISBN 978-3-8258-0035-2, ISSN 0946-7246
The Great Toponymic Divide. Reflections on the definition and usage of endonyms and exonyms. Edited by Paul Woodman. Published in 2012. Warszawa: Head Office of Geodesy and Cartography. Free of charge. ISBN 978-83-254-1967-7.
The Quest for Definitions. Proceedings of the 14th UNGEGN Working Group on Exonyms Meeting, Corfu, 23-25 May 2013. Edited by Peter Jordan and Paul Woodman. Published in 2014. Hamburg: Verlag Dr. Kovač. = Name & Place, vol. 3 (EUR 68.-), ISBN 978-3-8300-7747-3.
The books may be ordered directly from the publisher Verlag Dr. Kovač, Leverkusenstr. 13, D-22761 Hamburg (http://www.verlagdrkovac.de) and from LIT publishers (http://lit-verlag.de/), respectively, or via Peter Jordan, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Urban and Regional Research, Postgasse 7/4/2, A-1010 Wien firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings of the Working Group
The most recent meeting of the Working Group was held in Bangkok, Thailand, 26 April 2016, in association with the 29th UNGEGN Session.
Several other meetings have been held since the Working Group was formed in 2002:
- Zagreb, Croatia, May 2015
- Hermagor, Austria, June 2014
- Corfu, May 2013, in conjunction with the UNGEGN WG on Toponymic Terminology
- Gdańsk, Poland, May 2012, in conjunction with the UNGEGN WG on Romanization Systems
- Vienna [Wien], in association with 26th UNGEGN Session, 2011
- Tainach, Austria, April 2010
- Nairobi, Kenya, in association with 25th UNGEGN Session, 2009
- Timişoara (Romania), in conjunction with a UNGEGN toponymy training course and the ICA Commission on National and Regional Atlases, 2008
- During the Ninth Conference, New York, 2007
- Prague [Praha], 2007 in conjunction with the East Central and South-East Europe Division
- Vienna [Wien], in association with the 24th UNGEGN Session, 2006
- Ljubljana, Slovenia, May 2005
- Prague [Praha], 2003 in conjunction with the East Central and South-East Europe Division
UNGEGN WG on Exonyms
- 19th Meeting, Working Group on Exonyms, Prague, Czechia, 6-8 April 2017
Joint ICA/IGU Commission on Toponymy:
- Panamerican International Symposium on Toponymy Organized by Joint ICA/IGU Commission on Toponymy, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). May 3 – May 5, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Contact: Paulo Menezes email@example.com
ICC Joint Pre-Conference Workshop: Charting the Cosmos of Cartography: History – Names – Atlases
- Joint Pre-Conference Workshop of the ICA Commission on the History of Cartography in co‐operation with the ICA Commission on Atlases and the ICA Commission Toponymy, Jun 28–Jun 30, Washington, D.C., USA, http://history.icaci.org/washington-dc-2017/
International Symposium on Place Names: Critical Toponymy – Place names in political, historical and commercial landscapes
- Organized by Joint IGU/ICA Commission on Toponymy, University of the Free State (UFS) and University of Namibia (UNAM), Sep 18–Sep 20, Windhoek, Namibia, www.ufs.ac.za/conferenc.....names
Reports of the Working Group
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 50, Spring 2016
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 49, November 2015
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 48, May 2015
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 47, Fall 2014
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 46, Spring 2014
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 45, Fall 2013
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 44, Spring 2013
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 43, Fall 2012
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 42, March 2012
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 41, October 2011
- 26th UNGEGN Session, 2011, W.P. 68
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 40, April 2011
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 39, Fall 2010
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 38, March 2010
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 37, September 2009
- 25th UNGEGN Session, 2009, W.P.6
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 35, August 2008
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 34, December 2007
- 24th UNGEGN Session, W.P.11
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 33, March 2007
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 32, September 2006
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 31, March 2006
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 30, September 2005
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 27, December 2003
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 26, March 2003
The Working Group website can be accessed at http://ungegn.zrc-sazu.si/Home.aspx