The International Household Survey Network (IHSN) is an informal network of international agencies that operates solely on the basis of voluntary contributions—in kind or in cash—from its members.
Development, administration, and management of the IHSN is conducted primarily by two entities: the Management Group, and the Secretariat.
The Management Group oversees IHSN activities, sets policy direction, and communicates this direction to the Secretariat and IHSN constituency at large. It also oversees the IHSN Secretariat work program and ensures that IHSN goals and strategies are effectively articulated and disseminated. The Management Group is comprised of representatives from the following organizations:
- United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Partnership in Statistics for Development in the 21st Century (PARIS21)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Institute for Statistics (UIS)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- World Bank
A virtual Secretariat, comprised of members of the World Bank, Development Data Group (WB-DECDG) and PARIS21 Consortium Secretariat, coordinates the IHSN and is responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of the IHSN work program. The IHSN Secretariat’s functions are:
- Preparing the IHSN's annual program of activities for approval by the Management Group
- Coordinating activities and fostering new cooperation between IHSN member agencies
- Developing and maintaining the IHSN website and coordinating the maintenance of its databases (i.e., the central survey catalog, the citations catalog, and others)
- Developing and implementing an advocacy program and gathering relevant materials
- Preparing the agenda for IHSN Management Group meetings; the Secretariat coordinator attends these meetings and acts as Secretary
- Liaising with national survey data producers
On a scale of 1-5, please rate the helpfulness of this article
Optionally provide your comments to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!