Big Data Project Inventory
The GWG Big Data Inventory is a catalog of Big Data projects that are relevant for official statistics, SDG indicators and other statistics needed for decision-making on public policies, as well as for management and monitoring of public sector programs/projects. This inventory is a joint product of the World Bank and the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) put together on behalf of the UN Global Working Group (GWG) on Big Data for Official Statistics. The tasks related to the content of the inventory are led by the World Bank and UNSD, and the technical side is serviced by the UNSD technical team.
If you are working on a project that you would like to be considered for inclusion in this Inventory, even if the project is in an initial phase, please fill out this application form.
Please note that the project should either use Big Data sources and/or utilize Big Data techniques, and ideally have some relevance or implications for official statistics, SDG indicators or other statistics needed for decision-making on public policies. The Global Working Group will review submissions and include those projects that meet these criteria, or possibly contact you for further information. Please note that the information submitted below, once approved, will be made public on the GWG Big Data Project Inventory website.
Pilot project on the use of mobile positioning data for tourism statistics
Organization / Dept: Czech Republic - Statistical Office
- Mobile phone data
This pilot project aims at assessing the feasibility of using mobile positioning data for generating statistics on inbound and domestic tourism flows in the Czech Republic. The six localities have been selected where the records from mobile operator (positioning data) will be compared with the number of visitors gathered by face-to-face survey. The results will be used for setting the methodology of the inbound (and domestic) tourism survey in the future (2016 or 2017).
- Pilot intended to go to production to supplement existing data
- Tourism statistics
- Data providers: Not Specified
- Other partners:
- Government institute
- Partnerships Comments: Ministry of Regional Development (project owner)
- SDG Goals: Not Specified
- SDG Comments: Not Specified
- SDG Relevance: Not Specified
- Data Access Rights: Only for this project
- Intermediary: Yes
- Coverage Period: Selected periods during 08/2015 - 11/2015
- Data Coverage: Only a portion of all data
- Coverage Geo Pop: Part of country / low % of market
- Cost Implication: Free
- Validation With Training Data: Yes
- Validation Comments: Mobile data will be compared with field work (face-to-face survey).
- Quality Framework: Quality of output statistics
- Quality Framework Comments: Mobile data will be compared with field work (face-to-face survey).
- Data Quality Concerns Comments: Project is in initial stage.
- Quality Aspects Evaluated:
- Completeness, Usability, Time Factors
- Accuracy, including selectivity
- Coherence, including linkability to other sources
- Accessibility, Relevance
- Methods Used: No detail provided
- Estimation Methodological Framework Comments: Estimation methods and methodological framework should be the result of the pilot project.
- Technologies Used: No detail provided
- Timeframe To Produce Indicator: NA