International Seminar on
Information and Communication Technology Statistics
Seoul, Republic of Korea
19-21 July 2010
The United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and the Statistical Office of the Republic of Korea (Statistics Korea) in cooperation with the Partnership on Measuring ICT for Development organized an International Seminar on Information and Communication Technology Statistics.
Statistics on information and communication technologies (ICTs) have received increasing attention in recent years, highlighting the need for reliable data on new technologies that have impacted all aspects of economic and social life. Especially since the Tunis phase of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), there has been much progress on the production of ICT statistics. At the same time, the ICT area continues to evolve rapidly and statistical standards and definitions need to be revised and adapted continuously. As the main data collectors, national statistical agencies are crucial players in ensuring sustainable and internationally comparable ICT statistics.
This Seminar presented a timely opportunity for statistical agencies and other relevant stakeholders to discuss new developments, trends and challenges related to ICT statistics. It took place at the half-way point between the Tunis phase of the WSIS and 2015, when the United Nations General Assembly will review progress towards achieving the WSIS targets, in line with the Millenium Development Goals.
Complete documentation for the Seminar (including presentations and background papers) is available from the links below.
The Seminar in particular facilitated the exchange of experiences on the following topics:
- ICT statistics and policy making
- Measuring the Information Society, including:
- New developments in mobile and broadband communication technology
- Measuring household ICT access and individual use
- Measurement issues related to households ICT surveys
- Measuring the Information Economy, including:
- Measuring the evolving ICT sector
- Measuring ICT use by businesses
- Measurement issues related to surveys on ICT use in enterprises
- Emerging areas of ICT statistics, such as ICT in education, e-government or online security
- Regional and international approaches to enhancing ICT data availability
- Korean experiences in this field