7. Working Group on Evaluation and Implementation
Mr. Sungjae Choo (Republic of Korea), E-mail Mr. Choo (email@example.com)
The original Working Group on Evaluation was established to address resolution 4 of the Fifth United Nations Conference in 1987. Reports of the Working Group were presented to UNGEGN at its 14th Session in 1989 (W.P.31), at its 15th Session in 1991 (W.P.55), and its 16th Session in 1992 (W.P.3). The Working Group was then disbanded in favour of a new working group to consider the particularly important aspects of publicity and funding.
However, as the work of evaluation of UNGEGN and the Conferences needs to be considered on a continual basis, the Working Group was re-established during the 20th Session of UNGEGN (2000).
Current work plan
The work plan includes an evaluation of the functioning and efficacy of UNGEGN and the Conferences and the implementation of resolutions; finding ways to involve member states not currently participating in UNGEGN; looking at the needs of developing countries to achieve national standardization of their geographical names; and proposing actions to increase the effectiveness of the UN Conferences, UNGEGN and its Divisions and Working Groups.
The Working Group has maintained the UNCSGN resolutions database since 2009, in which resolutions are searchable by conference, by topic and by key word(s). Curently, English, French and Spanish versions are available.
Meetings of the Working Group
Joint meetings have been held with the Working Group on Publicity and Funding, most recently at the 28th Session of UNGEGN in New York, 2014; in Suwon & Seoul, 2013; at the Tenth Conference in New York, 2012; Seoul, 2011; at the 26th Session of UNGEGN in Vienna, 2011; in Vancouver, 2010; at the 25th Session of UNGEGN in Nairobi, 2009; in San Francisco, 2008; at the Ninth Conference in New York, 2007; in Honolulu, 2007; at the 23rd Session of UNGEGN in Vienna, 2006; and in Seoul in 2005 and 2003.
The Convenor organized a symposium on "Geographical Names as Cultural Heritage" in Seoul, Korea on November 5-7, 2014 (Program). Further information is available from the Convenor.
Workshop on Implementing Resolutions: Experiences of Commemorative Naming
The Working Group organized a workshop on implementing resolutions for the case of commemorative naming, at the UNCC Bangkok during the 29th Session of UNGEGN, 27 April 2016
- Finland1, Finland2
- Republic of Korea
Reports of the Working Group
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 47, September 2014
- 28th UNGEGN 2014, W.P. 52, Report
- 28th UNGEGN 2014, W.P. 55, Report on implementing resolutions
- 28th UNGEGN 2014, W.P. 47, Report on evaluation survey
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 46, March 2014
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 45, October 2013
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 44, May 2013
- 27th UNGEGN 2012, W.P.13. Report
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 42, March 2012
- 26th UNGEGN 2011, W.P. 45, Report
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 39, Fall 2010
- 25th UNGEGN 2009, W.P.17, Report
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 35, August 2008
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 34, December 2007
- 24th UNGEGN 2007, W.P.13, Report
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 33, March 2007
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 32, September 2006
- 23rd UNGEGN 2006, W.P.94, Summary Report
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 30, September 2005
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 29, January 2005
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 28, July 2004
- 22nd UNGEGN 2004, W.P.91, Evaluation of the Eighth Conference
- 22nd UNGEGN 2004, W.P.80, Overview
- 22nd UNGEGN 2004, W.P.79, Report of Working Group meeting, 2-4 December 2003
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 27, December 2003
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 26, March 2003
- Reports by members of this group to the 21st Session of UNGEGN in 2002 (W.P.8, W.P.9).