3. Working Group on Toponymic Terminology
Staffan Nyström (Sweden) E-mail Mr. Nyström (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The main task of the Working Group since its inception in 1991 has been to develop a revised Glossary of toponymic terminology. This has been completed and review and updating is now undertaken on an ongoing basis (in accordance with resolution VIII/3 from 2002).
The United Nations published the Glossary of Terms for the Standardization of Geographical Names in 2007. The revised Glossary consists of six language versions (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) combined in one volume with appropriate cross-referencing.
The Glossary can be purchased as a United Nations Publication (Sales No. M.01.XVII.7). Also the text can be accessed as a .pdf document on the UNGEGN website (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/glossary.pdf)
Working group meetings
The Working Group met with other UNGEGN initiatives in Uppsala (Sweden) in October 2010; in Vienna in May 2008; and some members met with the ICOS terminology group in Toronto in August 2008.
The Working Group met during the Ninth Conference when the text of additions to the Glossary for 2002-07 was finalized.
Recent reports of the Working Group
- W.P. 80 of the 26th Session of UNGEGN, 2011
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 39, Fall 2010
- W.P. 57, of the 25th UNGEGN Session, 2009
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 35, August 2008
- E/CONF.98/CRP.68 of the Ninth Conference, 2007
- W.P.1 of the 24th UNGEGN Session, 2007
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 33, March 2007
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 32, September 2006
- W.P.7 of the 23rd UNGEGN Session, 2006
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 28, July 2004
- UNGEGN Information Bulletin 26, March 2003
- E/CONF.94/CRP.86 of the Eighth Conference, 2002
- WP.4 of the 21st UNGEGN, 2002
- UNGEGN Newsletter 23, July 2000