Improvement of Civil Registration and Vital Statistics
The Knowledge Center documents and disseminates United Nations methodological guidelines, research articles and country practices and activities in the area of civil registration and vital statistics.
The Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Knowledge Center facilitates the international exchange and sharing of knowledge and information, as well as provision of guidance to countries, and monitoring progress made on civil registration and vital statistics.
- Documents on civil registration and vital statistics guidelines, demographic methods, and development of civil registration and vital statistics in various countries.
- Available in searchable database format
- Monitoring the status of civil registration and vital statistics for countries in the world is the first step to provide guidance and assistance to those that are in need. Two maps are included to show the coverage of birth and death registration in countries and areas. The user can also download an EXCEL file that contains information on the coverage of birth and death registration in each countries, as well as source of information.
- Presents information on whether basic vital statistics is available for countries. The information is obtained from the Demographic Yearbookdata collection.
- List of United Nations methodological guidelines on civil registration and vital statistics
- Country practices in registering vital events and producing vital statistics from various data sources
- Expert Group Meetings and Workshops conducted in the area of civil registration and vital statistics
- Regional initiatives and partners working in the area of civil registration and vital statistics
- The Global Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Group is a group of international and regional organizations coming together to forge stronger alliances in the area of civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS). With growing recognition of the value of CRVS to human rights, good governance, and development planning, monitoring and evaluation, there has been renewed interest in strengthening national CRVS systems. CRVS is also emerging as an essential underpinning of the post-2015 development agenda, and considered as an essential element of National Strategies on the Development of Statistics (NSDS). The Group aims, among others, to converge strategic priorities towards the improvement of national CRVS systems, through active interaction and greater collaboration among members, and coordinate global efforts to deliver as one (See the ToR of the Group.)