|About us | Contact us |Site Map|
Detailed structure and explanatory notes
ISIC Rev.3.1 code 45Structure
This Division is divided into the following Groups:
This division includes general construction and special trade construction for buildings and civil engineering, building installation and building completion. It includes new work, repair, additions and alterations, the erection of prefabricated buildings or structures on the site and also construction of a temporary nature.
General construction is the construction of entire dwellings, office buildings, stores and other public and utility buildings, farm buildings etc., or the construction of heavy constructions such as motorways, streets, bridges, tunnels, railways, airfields, harbours and other water projects, irrigation systems, sewerage systems, industrial facilities, pipelines and electric lines, sports facilities etc. This work can be carried out on own account or on a fee or contract basis. Portions of the work and sometimes even the whole practical work can be subcontracted out to trade contractors.
Special trade construction includes the construction of parts of buildings and civil engineering works or preparation therefor. It is usually specialized in one aspect common to different structures, requiring specialized skills or equipment. Activities such as pile-driving, foundation work, water well drilling, carcass work, concrete work, bricklaying, stone setting, scaffolding, roof covering etc., are covered. The erection of steel structures is included provided that the parts are not produced by the same unit. Special trade construction is carried out mostly under subcontract, but in repair construction especially it is done directly for the owner of the property.
Building installation activities include the installation of all kind of utilities that make the construction function as such. These activities are usually performed at the site of the construction, although parts of the job may be carried out in a special shop. Included are activities such as plumbing, installation of heating and air-conditioning systems, antennas, alarm systems and other electrical work, sprinkler systems, elevators and escalators etc. Also included are insulation work (water, heat, sound), sheet metal work, commercial refrigerating work, the installation of illumination and signalling systems for roads, railways, airports, harbours etc. Also included is repair of the same type as the above-mentioned installation activities.
Building completion encompasses activities that contribute to the completion or finishing of a construction such as glazing, plastering, painting and decorating, floor and wall tiling or covering with other materials like parquet, carpets, wallpaper etc., floor sanding, finish carpentry, acoustical work, cleaning of the exterior etc. Also included is repair of the same type as the above-mentioned activities.
This division excludes:
- manufacture of building materials, see sections C and D
- erecting or installing industrial equipment, see section D (e.g. installation of industrial furnaces, turbines etc.)
- erection of complete prefabricated buildings or structures from self-manufactured parts, which is classified in the relevant category in manufacturing, depending on the material chiefly used, except if the chief material is concrete, in which case it remains classified here
- erection of metal structures from self-manufactured parts, see 2811
- installation of self-manufactured carpentry or joinery, which is classified in the relevant category in manufacturing, depending on the material used (e.g. wood, see 2022)
- architectural and engineering activities, 7421
- project management for constructions, see 7421
- landscape planning and design, lawn and garden installation and maintenance and tree surgeons' activities, see 0140
- construction activities directly related to extraction of oil and natural gas, see 1120. (However, the construction of buildings, roads etc., on the mining site remains in this class.)
- cleaning of windows, inside as well as outside, chimneys, boilers, interiors etc., see 7493
Would you like to leave some feedback?
(on this code, this classification, the site in general or any other issue)
Then drop us a line at CHL@un.org.