|About us | Contact us |Site Map|
Detailed structure and explanatory notes
ISIC Rev.3.1 code 52Structure
This Division is divided into the following Groups:
This division includes the resale (sale without transformation) of new and used goods mainly to the general public for personal or household consumption or utilization, by shops, department stores, stalls, mail-order houses, hawkers and peddlers, consumer cooperatives etc.
Retail trade is classified first by type of sale outlet (retail trade in stores: groups 521 to 524; retail trade not in stores: group 525). Retail trade in stores is further subdivided into retail sale of new goods (groups 521 to 523) and retail sale of used goods (group 524). For retail sale of new goods in stores, there exists a further distinction between specialized retail sale (groups 522 to 523) and non-specialized retail sale (group 521). The above groups are further subdivided by the range of products sold. Sale not via stores lists the forms of trade (e.g. mail order, markets, door-to-door, by vending machines etc.).
The goods sold in this division are for obvious reasons limited to the so-called consumer goods and therefore exclude goods not normally entering retail trade, such as cereal grains, ores, industrial machinery and equipment etc.
This division also includes establishments engaged in selling to the general public, from displayed merchandise, products such as typewriters, stationery, paint or lumber, although these sales may not be for personal or household goods.
Some processing of goods may be involved, but only incidental to selling.
This division also includes the retail sale by commission agents, activities of retail auctioning houses and the repair and installation of personal or household goods whether or not done in combination with retail sale.
This division excludes:
- sale of farmers' products by farmers, see division 01
- manufacture and sale of goods (e.g. food), which is generally classified as manufacturing in divisions 15-37
- sale of motor vehicles, motorcycles and their parts and of fuel for these articles, see division 50
- trade in cereal grains, ores, crude petroleum, industrial chemicals, iron and steel and industrial machinery and equipment, see division 51
- sale of food and drinks for consumption on the premises and sale of takeaway food, see 5520
- renting and hiring of personal and household goods to the general public, see 7130
Click here to see the Registry entries for this code
Would you like to leave some feedback?
(on this code, this classification, the site in general or any other issue)
Then drop us a line at CHL@un.org.